The purpose of this fund is to enable graduate students to attend high-level international schools (training camps, specialized summer/winter masterclasses) whose topics are aligned with Sentinel North's research program. Recognizing the value of such training, Sentinel North wishes through this program to foster the development of a new generation of young scientists able to tackle and help resolve complex northern issues, and encourage the sharing of knowledge and experience across borders.
More specifically, the program aims to encourage students to:
- Acquire new skills and abilities that help them understand and analyze northern issues and/or master technologies with potential applications in the North
- Establish international ties and networks by taking advantage of outstanding research opportunities
Available financial support helps offset the cost of short-term training activities (one to eight weeks). The maximum amount available per application is $5,000. The amount awarded will be based on the applicant's proposed budget (which will be reviewed by the evaluation committee) and will not exceed 80% of the total estimated costs. Students must obtain support from their supervisors or other sources to cover the remaining costs (20%). Please refer to the specific program terms and conditions for complete details.
Call for applications
Applicants may apply any time during the year. Applications must be submitted at least eight weeks before the requested travel date. They will be examined on a first-come, first-served basis, with scholarships awarded based on the funds available for each internship period.
The budget available for the program is renewed every six months (on April 1 and October 1). We urge students to submit their applications at the beginning of each period to maximize their odds of obtaining a scholarship.